Monday, May 25, 2009

2nd Time Around

Diane at A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words is sponsoring 2nd Time Around Tuesday so I thought I'd join in . What I have to share is a desk that once belonged to my dear aunt. I'm named after her and she was an inspiration to our entire family with her desire for all to aspire to higher education and better jobs. She left my grandparents' home on a small farm in the South in the 1920's when most women dropped out of school to get married and start a family. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but she wanted more and she wanted her younger brother and sisters to have more. After going to college, getting her undergraduate and graduate degrees and teaching for several years, her life was cut much too short when she was killed in an automobile accident at the height of her career. I was fortunate enough to be given her desk which is a treasure. It needed refinishing so when I took it to the antique store to have that done, I was told that the top was warped and I probably should just throw it away (in other words, it wasn't valuable as an antique). Now, it sits proudly refinished in our foyer and holds pictures of nieces and nephews she never met. Whether valuable as an antique or not, this "2nd time around" desk is priceless to me-----I love it because it was hers.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Linda,
    I love the desk...I am very partial to pretty oak pieces. It looks like a wonderful piece to display your photographs.

    Thanks for linking to 2nd Time Around.
    :) Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sad yet wonderful story. Your desk is a treasure, no matter what money it is worth, because the worth of something like your desk can't have a price put in it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely story and what a treasure. I am like you, to me it would be priceless.

    ReplyDelete