Sunday, November 08, 2009

When I Was a Little Bitty Baby.............

My mamma would rock me in the cradle, in them old cotton fields back home. Well, my mamma never actually rocked me in a cradle in the cotton fields, but I've spent lots of time in the cotton fields. My memories of the cotton fields are of a little sack with a shoulder strap that my grandmother made for me to use while I picked cotton, scratchy cotton plants, and then the end of the day when it was time to weigh every one's cotton for the day. I can still smell the cotton as it was all dumped into the trailer after being weighed. I loved to jump into the pile of cotton. Today, cotton farming is so different. There are LOTS of cotton fields north of here and we pass them when we go to our Farm. The cotton is picked with big machines--no more cotton sacks, weigh-ins at the end of the day, nor jumping into the trailer or wagon filled with freshly picked cotton. Here are some pictures of the cotton fields we passed today. Again, things change and cotton farming has definitely changed for the better over the years.

1 comment:

  1. My grandmother lived in Alabama and I still remember the smell of those cotton fields as we drove to see her from New Orleans.

    I've enjoyed visiting your blog this morning and will be back to visit again soon.

    Blessings of peace and all that is good

    ReplyDelete